Toyota Prius is one of Toyota Motor Corporation’s creation. It is a complete hybrid electric vehicle manufactured by Toyota since 1997.
Toyota Motor Corporation is a Japanese multinational automotive manufacturer. They first introduced the car with a four-door sedan, then produced as a five-door liftback from 2013 to 2015, then a five-door fastback since 2016.
A sedan is a passenger car with A, B, C pillars in a three-box configuration. This car was rated as one of the cleanest four-wheels marketed in the United States by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board while the 2018 model lists as the second to the most fuel-efficient gasoline-powered car in the US.
It was in more than ninety markets, with Japan and United States being its biggest markets. By the year 2017, the Prius liftback became the world’s top-selling hybrid car with four million units sold.
In 2011, Toyota broadened the Prius family and introduced Prius V, and Prius C. The Prius V has an elongated hatchback while Prius C, on the contrary, has a subcompact hatchback.
In 2012, the Prius plug-in hybrid was issued. It is said that Toyota cars are known for their durability, safety, innovation, reliability, and quality. However, in this article, we will set aside other Toyota cars, and we will talk about how long does a Prius battery last.
Toyota Prius Life Expectancy
Many people are getting interested in owning hybrid cars such as Toyota Prius. However, the most frequently asked about purchasing one is its battery’s lifespan and wondered how long it would last.
Well, Prius batteries are warranted for ten years or 150, 000 miles in California-compliance states during eight years or 100,000 miles in the non-California-compliant state. Prius batteries usually last about 12 to 15 years.
Toyota Prius Models
Prius comes from the Latin word which means first, original, superior, or to go before. Here are evolution and models of this hybrid car since they first introduced it:
• NHW10 – This is the car’s first-generation car, which debuted in 1995 at the Tokyo Motor Show. The first-generation model was called NHW10 and was made available only in Japan and was imported in United States, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. It became the world’s first mass-made gasoline-electric hybrid car. The production of this car ended in February 2000.
• NHW11 – This was referred as generation II. It is the first Prius marketed by Toyota outside Japan. The announced retail price of this car was US$19,995. The production of this car started in May 2000 and ended in June 2003.
• XW20 – This second-generation car is a lot more environment friendly than the previous model. It is 6 inches longer than the previous version. The production of this car started in August 2003 to October 2004.
• XW30 – This debuted in January 2009 at North American International Auto Show while the sales started on May 18, 2009. This model has a special roof design which is a double wave to keep down the air resistance however this design is not present on the solar roof model. The production of this model ended in 2015.
• XW50 – This car was first shown in September 2015 in Las Vegas. Whereas the retail started in December 2015. In 2013, the chief engineer of the Prius line announced some improvements and features on the next generation.
• Prius Plug-in Hybrid – This is the second top-selling plug-in electric car in 2012. The production of this version started in September 2011 and ended in June 2015. In 2016, it became the world’s all-time third top-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle.
• Prius Prime – This is the second-generation Prius plug-in. This was developed in parallel with the standard fourth-generation Prius model which is the XW50.
• Prius V – This car is an elongated hatchback wagon that was derived from the third-generation Prius.
• Prius C- This car was first introduced at North American International Auto Show way back January 2011.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Hybrid Cars
• Environment-friendly – Hybrid cars are becoming popular because it uses two or more engines such as electric motor and a conventional engine. Hybrid cars produce less CO2 emissions. Hybrid cars are vehicles that have an engine that can use fossil fuel and an alternate fuel source.
• Government incentive programs – To support the purchase and use of hybrid vehicles, governments are giving incentive programs and special discounts which makes it affordable.
• Less necessity of Fossil fuels – This car requires less fuel than other gas-powered vehicles. It needed less fuel to run which means fewer emissions.
• Regenerative Braking System – Using the brakes will recharge the battery a little.
• Made up of light materials – Hybrid cars are made of lighter materials as well as smaller and lighter engine that saves it from consuming too much energy.
• Higher resale value – the Continuous increase in gasoline price, makes people prefer a hybrid car which makes them higher than the normal resale values.
• Less power – Hybrid cars have shorter gasoline engine which acts as the primary source of power. Therefore, it changed for city driving and not for acceleration and speed.
• Can be expensive – It is more expensive than gas-powered vehicles.
• Higher maintenance costs – Its higher maintenance costs make it tough for car mechanics to fix it.
• Presence of high voltage in batteries -The high voltage seen inside the batteries can be lethal.
All in all, Prius cars are tremendous and eco-friendly cars. However, hybrid cars are pricey when it comes to maintenance and is not suitable for speed and acceleration. In this article, we tackled advantages and disadvantages of hybrid cars as well as how long does a Prius battery last.