Dead batteries aren’t really dead at all. And in fact, you can still bring them back to their life! Yes, it is certainly possible for you to get a dead battery working again, and you can even use and sell it!
Although this may sound impossible, it is true that you can recover and make batteries 100% functional again – even when they are dead. Furthermore, the procedure is called battery reconditioning.
Thankfully, it is very easy and simple to do – almost everyone can do it! However, this can be time-consuming, and you also need some items for it to work. In addition, you should understand that there are many different types of battery reconditioning method.
So, here we will provide you several methods that will allow you to get the most out of your car and laptop batteries life.
More importantly, this process won’t only help you protect the environment, but also lets you save money instead of spending more on new battery replacement.
Well, let’s go ahead and proceed below for more information, shall we?
Reconditioning a Car Battery
Car batteries can last between 3 to 5 years or even longer than that if taken properly. But there’s a bad news: they are quite expensive! Although they can survive for some time, they won’t last forever.
This article will help you know about the how long does a car battery last below:
But don’t you worry, you can always recondition them instead of replacing them with a new one immediately. This way, you’ll be able to prevent yourself from buying a new one again – you’ll save money!
If you’re wondering how can do it, then you might want to check out the given steps here.
Things You Should Have:
• Distilled Water
• Battery Charger
Ensure to have all the items above before you do the actual procedure or the process won’t be successful. Once you have the required items and gadgets, you can now proceed to the actual guide below:
1. First, you have to gently take away the battery from your car. Once done, take off the rubber that guards the caps, and also take the caps away as well.
Also, you should know that some batteries have multiple caps, let’s say 6 or 7, while others may have less. But for this procedure, it is important to take out all those caps away.
2. Now, use your distilled water to fill the battery then recharge it. Take note: Don’t place the caps back during the charging process.
Next is to connect the battery on the charger and just simply wait for it to charge for an hour. Expect the bubbles to pop up, but if there’s none, try to reverse the positive and negative wires, then wait for at least 2 minutes.
All you have to do is to find the right position of both negative and positive wires. Once you see bubbles on the holes, then you’re doing it right.
Now, all you need is to recharge the car battery again for 30 minutes more and you’re done!
For the best result, try replacing the acid in your car battery and combine the fresh acid with a distilled water. And don’t forget to recharge it for some few hours.
Reconditioning a Laptop Battery
Well, they aren’t cheap and they may even cost a bit more than the actual laptop itself. But you don’t have to replace old laptop batteries right away!
And here we’ll give you the steps that will help you bring an old laptop battery back to its life.
Read the related article below:
Some laptop manufacturer recommends to “reset” a laptop at least once or twice a month to keep the battery condition well.
Although this method won’t really recondition the battery, it will help calibrate your laptop battery, which will let your laptop to have a precise reading of your battery charge levels.
Through this, you’ll be able to avoid unexpected shutdowns which will allow you to enjoy and use your laptop for some longer time. Here’s how you can do this method!
Things You Should Have:
1. Fully charge the battery (100%). To make the charging faster, just leave it there and wait for it to charge. Also, you can use your laptop while it is charging. However, don’t let it get too hot!
2. Once charged, unplug it from the charger and don’t do anything to your laptop – just wait for the battery to drain completely. It should automatically shut down once completely drained. After this, let your laptop sit for at least 5 hours.
3. The last and final step is to recharge the laptop battery back to 100%. Well, that’s it! You should now be able to increase the life of the laptop battery.
This method will also let your laptop read precise information about its battery levels, reducing the risk of automatically shutdowns.
Aside from this method, you can also follow the solution provided below:
This method or the freezing method will help you restore an old or dying laptop battery – you’ll get more juices out of your battery!
Things You Should Have:
• Plastic Bag
1. Take out the battery out from your laptop and place it in a sealed plastic bag.
2. Put the plastic bag in the freezer and let it sit there for about 12 hours. You can do it longer than 12 hours, but to be safe, try not to leave your battery for more than the recommended hours.
3. Now, remove the plastic bag from the freezer then take the battery out of the bag and let it warm up for some time. Clean it with a dry towel or tissue while the laptop battery is warming up.
And that’s about it! There are more types of batteries out there, and above are some of them. Furthermore, think twice before replacing any batteries you have – you can always restore or recondition them.
So, if you have an old car or laptop battery in your home, don’t just immediately throw them away, instead, try to follow the battery reconditioning method provided above to keep them running and functional for some time.